Sunday, August 14, 2011

Structure Is The Key

The first step is structure, and you can never have too much.  I started by writing stream of consciousness, for those of you that do not know what that is, it is when you write down everything that comes into your head until you have formed a solid idea.  Now it is time to add structure to the chaos. 

Who are your characters?  What makes them tick?  I went online and found some great sites that provide you with character outlines, and the more detailed they were the better.  I started filling them out and as I did my mind kept rolling on little scenes for my book.  So now that I have my idea and my character outlines, the next step is too create your minor events that lead up to your major events.  This was easy and hard in its own way for me.  I say it was hard because as I kept creating my minor events I kept having this thought...your book is not going to be long enough!!!! Ahhh! Oh NO.  Now what?  Well i reeled in my panic and kept making lists of my minor events.  Then I broke down each of those events into scenes, with detailed descriptions of who is involved, where they were, what exactly is happening, and why this is important to get me to my next step.

All very interesting right?  Yes I would say August 13th was beneficial for Emory and the rest of my books cast.  I still have panic in my bones about it ending up not long enough but I still have more work to do on my scenes.  So I am trusting myself to figure it out!

Until tomorrow!
Kelley Lee

2 comments:

  1. This is very good advice. I dont think you should worry much about your book not being long enough. From the looks of it once you start writing you will just naturally add details and add little tid bits to your plot. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement Vera! It is really good to hear from someone else.

    ReplyDelete